Wilson Sonsini Alumni Privacy Statement
Last updated: August 23, 2017
We are committed to maintaining your privacy when you visit the Alumni Site. This Privacy Statement (the “Privacy Statement”) applies to the Wilson Sonsini Alumni Network website (www.wsgralumni.com) hereafter referred to as the “Alumni Site”. This Privacy Statement, which is incorporated into and is subject to the Alumni Site Terms and Conditions (the “Terms”), describes the information that we gather from you on the Alumni Site, how we use and disclose such information, and the steps we take to protect such information. Wilson Sonsini Goodrich and Rosati, Professional Corporation (“WSGR”) (collectively, “we” or “us”) is the data controller for the purpose of this Privacy Statement.
What information do we collect?
We collect your information when you register for and use the Alumni Site, including:
- your name, email address and additional information you choose to provide;
- if you were previously a user of another Wilson Sonsini alumni website, certain information that you provided in connection with your access to that website;
- correspondence between you and us;
- information you post on the Alumni Site (e.g., on the chat pages);
- responses to online surveys;
- information from your device, including the device’s IP addresses and unique device identifiers, which are collected when you access the Alumni Site;
- information about your interactions with the Alumni Site, such as the links you click and the dates and times of your visits; and
- information from cookies and similar technologies, as described further below under “Cookies and Similar Technologies.”
How do we use your information?
We will use your information for the following purposes:
- in order to verify that you are eligible to register an account with the Alumni Site, we may verify the information you provide by checking it against certain basic information that we collected through our Human Resources function during your employment with Wilson Sonsini (including your name, email address, mailing address, the Wilson Sonsini office where you were located, and your position within the firm);
- to enable other users to search for and locate you via the user directory on the Alumni Site;
- to provide users with a customized experience on the Alumni Site;
- in an aggregated form, to research and analyze users’ demographics, interests and behavior so that we may better understand and serve users and improve the Alumni Site;
- to contact you periodically with communications about events, publications or employment opportunities with Wilson Sonsini, or to provide you with industry relevant information, which Wilson Sonsini believes might interest you, provided that you opt in (or have opted in) to receiving these messages;
- to enforce the Terms and other legal rights;
- as may be required by applicable laws and regulations or requested by any judicial process or governmental agency; and
- for other purposes, with your consent.
How do we share your information?
Sharing within Wilson Sonsini. As a global law firm, information that Wilson Sonsini collects may be shared internationally within Wilson Sonsini’s worldwide organization, in accordance with this Privacy Statement, the Terms or as otherwise communicated from time to time.
Sharing with Third Parties. We may disclose information to third parties in the following circumstances:
- to our service providers who perform services on our behalf, such as auditors and contractors. We do not authorize these service providers to use or disclose personal information except as necessary to perform certain services on our behalf, such as hosting some of the data, or comply with legal requirements. We require these service providers by contract to appropriately safeguard the privacy and security of personal information they process on our behalf;
- with your prior consent; or
- to third parties in the event that Wilson Sonsini sells or liquidates all or any part of its business or assets.
We may also disclose information to third parties (i) if we are requested to do so by law or legal process, (ii) to law enforcement authorities or other government officials, or (iii) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss, or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual fraudulent or illegal activity.
Your rights and choices
We provide you with settings to allow you to control the visibility of certain information on the Alumni Site. To change whether certain information is viewable by other users, please visit your account privacy settings. You can also access, edit, or correct certain information about you on the Alumni Site by logging into your account and updating your profile.
Subject to applicable law, you may have different rights regarding our use of your personal information. You may have the right to request access to and receive information about the personal information we maintain about you, update and correct inaccuracies in your personal information, and have such information deleted. You also may have the right to object to our processing of your personal information and withdraw your consent to our processing of personal information at any time. When you request the deletion of your personal information, object or withdraw your consent to the processing of your personal information by Wilson Sonsini, we may not be able to provide all the features of the Alumni Site to you. Similarly, you can choose not to provide all or parts of your personal information to us (e.g., by not completing all data fields in our registration forms). However, in such case, you may not be able to benefit from the full range of features of the Alumni Site (e.g., to create an account to use the Alumni Site).
You can choose not to receive any email communications from us about events or publications we feel might be of interest to you by opting out of such communications.
You may delete or deactivate your user account by contacting us at the address in the “Contact us” section of this Privacy Statement, in which case you will no longer be able to access any members-only areas of the Alumni Site.
We may transfer the personal information collected about you to countries other than the country in which the information was originally collected, including the United States. Those countries may not have the same data protection laws as the country where you live. When we transfer your personal information to recipients in other countries, we will protect the data as described in this Privacy Statement.
How we hold and protection personal information
We maintain appropriate administrative, technical and physical safeguards to protect the personal information we have about you, in accordance with applicable law. Please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. We cannot and do not guarantee that information about you will not be accessed, viewed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our safeguards.
Links to other websites
The Alumni Site may, from time to time, contain links to and from third-party websites. Please note that these sites have their own privacy policies. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for such third-party policies or sites. Please check these policies before you submit any personal information to these websites.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
By using the Alumni Site you agree that we can place cookies on your device as explained below. If you want to remove existing cookies from your device you can do this using your browser options. If you want to block future cookies being placed on your device you can change your browser settings to do this.
Please bear in mind that deleting and blocking cookies will have an impact on your user experience, as parts of the Alumni Site may no longer work. Unless you have adjusted your browser settings to block cookies, the Alumni Site will issue cookies as soon you visit, even if you have previously deleted cookies from the Alumni Site.
Turning off cookies will also prevent any web beacons from tracking your activity on the Alumni Site. The web beacon will still account for an anonymous visit, but your unique information will not be recorded.
Please contact us with any questions or comments about this Privacy Statement, or if you would like to exercise your rights regarding your personal information:
Wilson Sonsini Goodrich and Rosati, Professional Corporation
650 Page Mill Road
Palo Alto, California 94304